Dressing for Success (and standing out from the crowd)

11:24 AM

I'm back!!

It's getting harder and harder to get outfit posts. Between bad weather and long days I am barely getting to this, and that makes me really sad.

But thankfully, I have photos for today for another reason entirely!

Almost two weeks ago, I was sworn into the Maryland bar as a student attorney for the semester. This means I'll be practicing family law (under careful supervision!) for the next four months. I get to go to meet real clients, file pleadings, and go to court over this semester and I couldn't be more thrilled! It's a big deal, especially being a second year student.

So for the swearing in ceremony, our requirement was to be business professional. I'm all about dressing professionally. I love wearing nice clothes, being put-together, and generally feeling like an adult (even if I'm not always quite an adult in nature, lol). But at the same time, I find that business attire in the legal field can be a bit, well, stuffy. We stick to dark colors and neutral palettes. White, gray, black. Maybe navy. If you're a risk-taker, it's tan. I know I've said it before (a lot). But real talk: I get bored just thinking about the color choices we have for professional wear.

So sometimes I want to try out something a little risky. I want to stand out from the crowd, but still look like a damn professional. I want to show off my personality while being worthy of a client's trust (and money).

So I decided to take inspiration from that one woman I saw in court years ago in Texas...and wear a burgundy dress. I know. Crazy town, right?

It seems burgundy is my go-to color for professional events where I want to have a little fun. See Exhibit A with this burgundy skirt:


And last week's look:

It's even the same spot...I'm pretty predictable. (Oops?)

Even crazier is what you can't see. I added a thin leopard belt over my dress and underneath my jacket. I know. I know. But I think it's important to both dress well and have a personality while doing it. You didn't get to the place you're at today because you weren't yourself. It's the exact opposite: you succeed because of who you are, not in spite of who you are. So you should celebrate that (within the limits of your profession, of course). And that is a great thing.




xoxo

Carisa

 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on Pinterest!

Subscribe To Legally Charming Style!