2016: Year in Review

12:13 AM

Guyyyyyyyys....2016 is over TOMORROW. I know they say that every year goes by faster as you get older, but how did this happen???

It's been an intense year for me. Most of that intensity has been great-phenomenal, really-but dang, what a roller coaster of emotions! I couldn't have imagined that I would feel like a totally person today than I did on January 1st. But I do. I am in the obvious ways-I have three new letters after my name that tell the world I'm a lawyer; I'm no longer a student, but rather a working professional with a full-time job.

But it's more than that. I've hit some of the highest highs and the lowest lows of my emotional range this year, and I've lived through it all. I've kind of thrived in spite of it all, actually. I survived the bar exam, a big move, my first four months of pet parenthood (which was a steep learning curve, let me say). I've had days where I thought I couldn't go on. But I did, and I'm proud of that.

Personally, professionally, 2016 has been one for the books.

And this blog! So much has happened with this blog! I started the year as kind of a no-name kid in the background of the Baltimore blogging scene who only knew one other Baltimore blogger and just admired the big players from afar. Now I'm in the fray and I actually get recognized in public (WHAT?! Minor celebrity moment here, y'all). But more importantly, I've made some amazing lady blogger friendships and met some incredible people who are not just people whose blogging expertise and style I admire, but who I love dearly as people.

So what all happened this year? Let's go back and hit the highlights!

January


In January, I did my first ever fashion panel as a blogger!! The panel is also where I started my friendships with one of my dearest friends, Taliah of Fashion Was Here, and with a woman I'd admired from afar and became my friend, Jenn of Comme Coco.

I also acquired my first DSLR camera, which totally changed the course of my photography, and took my first blog head shots!

Personally, I was heading back into my last semester of law school ever, which was terrifying the heck out of me at the time! We also had a GIANT snowstorm that stopped up the whole city for days and basically buried my car (my first adult blizzard, which was pretty cool and also scary lol).

February



In February, I did my first-ever collaboration post with ThredUP, which was huge!! I also shot for the first time with Taliah, yielding the photos above, and eventually, this shot landing in a magazine (more on that later)!

March


March was probably the BUSIEST month for this blog, to be honest. It was the month my feature in Baltimore Style came out with its questionable and semi-controversial quote that I talked about on my blog, and made me evaluate what I was doing as a blogger and making sure my message really met up with what I was looking for in this blog. I was also featured on the Le Tote blog and did a collaboration with an online shop called A Tad Monroe. 


April


April was a fun month of friends and adventures! I went to the zoo in DC with this lovely lady and had noodles with my friend Kellye and talked about body image. I was also getting through my last days of being WBA President and getting that bar app done!

May


I. GRADUATED. LAW. SCHOOL. After three long years, I graduated with honors and a faculty award! The work was unbelievably hard, but so worth it. 

June


In the midst of bar prep, I celebrated the two year anniversary of Legally Charming Style! It's hard to believe I've been at this for two years. The friends I've made, the things I have learned about myself and the world, have all been invaluable. 

July


In the last harried days of bar prep, I managed to sneak out and go to the Charm Collectiv x Bear Fox Babe soirée in Ellicott City! I made even more friends and had the best vegan chai cake on earth, quite possibly.

I also squeezed in a short vacation, and oh right, I took the bar exam (NBD). 

August


One of my best friends in this world got married!!!! It was a beautiful day and she was a radiant bride. I was so thrilled to be a part of it and get to experience her joy at marrying her soul mate.

I did basically zero blogging in August-you can see I did one post. But I did live my life! In addition to the wedding, I moved twice, adopted my precious fur baby, and started my dream job!! 

September


September was a full-scale adjustment period for me to doing career and blogging. I joined a couple of legal task forces, got super sick (I lost my voice for a couple of weeks), and transitioned into obsessive pet parenthood. 

October


In October I went to my first Bmore Blogger Babes happy hour and met even more new friends!! We ate meatballs and learned a lot about each other. I went a little crazy with the Halloween posts and I realized how much I love holiday theme blogging, so more of that will happen in 2017!

November


I found out I passed the bar!!!!!! It was the realization of like the biggest dream of all time. It was also the month we found out about the election (*sigh*). It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

In the blogging world, I did a wonderful collaboration with local Baltimore shop Pntd Prints with this cool girl tank I'm wearing above and did my first ever holiday gift guide!

December


DECEMBER. December has been crazy crazy crazy!!! I was lucky enough to do this fun and stunning shoot with local photographer Billie McCain. I also finalized a collaboration with Coach, which is one of my dream brands to work with!! I'm still pinching myself.

Personally, it was even crazier!! I got sworn into the Maryland bar, which makes me an attorney for real AND turned 30 within a week! In a year of personal development, December took the cake as a time of change. 


Did you get through all that?!?! Whew!! All this to say, I can't wait to see what 2017 holds!

I love you (yes you) and I am so grateful for your support. May your new year be filled with love, light, and many blessings.

xoxo

Carisa 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. You're awesome and rocking this thing! Congrats all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is EVERYTHING!! Such an over-achiever with great style! Love your personality and wow, did you have an awesome year!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on Pinterest!

Subscribe To Legally Charming Style!